Many people still send email to groups of contacts using outdated and quite primitive means…
The CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 actually made it illegal for business to send commercial e-mail without adhering to the following features typically provided by a good email list management application. The Federal Trade Commission provides some basic information on CAN-SPAM’s main requirements:
- Don’t use false or misleading header information. Your “From,” “To,” “Reply-To,” and routing information – including the originating domain name and email address – must be accurate and identify the person or business who initiated the message.
- Don’t use deceptive subject lines. The subject line must accurately reflect the content of the message.
- Identify the message as an ad. The law gives you a lot of leeway in how to do this, but you must disclose clearly and conspicuously that your message is an advertisement.
- Tell recipients where you’re located. Your message must include your valid physical postal address. This can be your current street address, a post office box you’ve registered with the U.S. Postal Service, or a private mailbox you’ve registered with a commercial mail receiving agency established under Postal Service regulations.
- Tell recipients how to opt out of receiving future email from you. Your message must include a clear and conspicuous explanation of how the recipient can opt out of getting email from you in the future. Craft the notice in a way that’s easy for an ordinary person to recognize, read, and understand. Creative use of type size, color, and location can improve clarity. Give a return email address or another easy Internet-based way to allow people to communicate their choice to you. You may create a menu to allow a recipient to opt out of certain types of messages, but you must include the option to stop all commercial messages from you. Make sure your spam filter doesn’t block these opt-out requests.
- Honor opt-out requests promptly. Any opt-out mechanism you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your message. You must honor a recipient’s opt-out request within 10 business days. You can’t charge a fee, require the recipient to give you any personally identifying information beyond an email address, or make the recipient take any step other than sending a reply email or visiting a single page on an Internet website as a condition for honoring an opt-out request. Once people have told you they don’t want to receive more messages from you, you can’t sell or transfer their email addresses, even in the form of a mailing list. The only exception is that you may transfer the addresses to a company you’ve hired to help you comply with the CAN-SPAM Act.
- Monitor what others are doing on your behalf. The law makes clear that even if you hire another company to handle your email marketing, you can’t contract away your legal responsibility to comply with the law. Both the company whose product is promoted in the message and the company that actually sends the message may be held legally responsible.
Constant Contact is our choice for the best performance vs. cost in email marketing, list management, and event promotion…
DesignWise Studios has been a qualified solution provider for Constant Contact since 2009. We have always felt that Constant Contact is the leader in email marketing, the key component of any comprehensive digital marketing plan. Working with the finest tools, we can provide a solution that will suit your needs and we’ll show you how to use it most effectively!
A successful inbound marketing approach utilizes content marketing coupled with regular publishing to an email subscriber list to keep your name in front of your current or future customers. Here are some key features we value in Constant Contact:
- List Building is vital. Apart from asking people to join your mailing list on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and your website, there are additional tools provided within Constant Contact such as: the ‘Text to join’ feature, QR codes, and the Constant Contact Mobile App that facilitate this.
- Contact Management provides full compliance with CAN-SPAM Act, allowing easy subscribe and unsubscribe options.
- Mobile-friendly templates and follow-up reporting will turn your emails into a validated study.
- Best email editor with A/B subject testing. This includes; global colors and fonts, block selection, text wrapping and editing within blocks.
- Image and file storage allows you to edit and reuse your own uploaded images as a well as choose from a collection of free stock images.
- Social Media tools integrate your email with your social media accounts. The ‘forward’ and ‘social share’ buttons are built in to the Constant Contact product suite enabling your communication to generate further reach as it is shared beyond the 1st level of recipients.
- Free, award-winning support by live experts.
- Product suite including Online Surveys, Auto-sending Campaigns, Event Spot and Social Campaigns. This gives you all of the tools to actively promote your products and services using just one service provider.
- Analysis of key metrics. Measure your open-rate, replies, forwards, social sharing and click-through analysis with Constant Contact’s reporting metrics and social sharing statistics.